Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Should I be embarassed?

I was listing (out loud in conversation) all of my favorite TV shows last night and I had a light bulb moment, as Oprah (the person, not my truck) would say.

For your reference my top 5 favorite shows are:

Rock of Love II

Scott Baio is 46...and Pregnant

Girls Next Door

Celebrity Rehab with Dr. Drew

My Fair Brady.....Maybe Baby?

Side note: I am in no way receiving any kind of compensation for listing every freaking show VH1 produces!

We've all heard for years that this is what's happened to American Television. Everything is "reality" based. I'm not embarrassed to admit I watch these shows, but when I compare them to what someone else watches I have to admit, I feel a little inferior. My husband, for example watches The History Channel, Discovery and Sci Fi religiously. In fact, I walked out to his "man room" the other night to see what he was up to and was discouraged to see he was watching a documentary on Steven Hawking because I wanted to see the Rock of Love II re-run because I had missed the newest episode on Sunday. What does that say about me?


When I think back to my childhood, my parents favorite shows were M*A*S*H, All in the Family, Hogans Hero's, Taxi, and The Rockford Files. Groundbreaking, society-changing television.


How the hell is Bret Michael's love life groundbreaking or Scott Baio's selfishness/ego-mania/narcissism society changing? Am I just so in need of an escape from MY reality that I rely on THEIR reality for entertainment?

That's when I had my "light bulb" moment: I have a sense of humor! I don't need to watch "pseudo-intellectual" programming to feel intelligent. I can feel that way all on my own! Yeah me! And yes, I do need an escape from work, kids, husband, life and there is nothing wrong with an escape. The 30 minutes (or hour, depending on the show) of smiles I get from these shows is so worth it!

So, THANK YOU VH1 and E! for producing mindless entertainment! I'll keep watching!

8 comments:

texAAsgirl said...

We are soooo alike! First, I'm not available to watch 'prime time' reality tv like the rest of the world. You know the ones: American Idol, Dancing with the Stars,etc. No, no, no - I stoop much lower and watch the teen ones on Vh1 and MTV - I'm addicted to Rock of Love II, The Hills, Real World, The Gauntlett III, Flavor of Love (why I don't know), America's Most Smartest Model, America's Next Top Model, Celeb Rehab with Dr Drew, Scott Baio, Making the Band 4, My Fair Brady, Life of Ryan (if only I were 16 again), Parental Control, Next, My Super Sweet 16, & even freakin' Rob & Big! Then my newest addiction is to TRU t.v. (you know the slogan - Not Reality. Actuality.) I like Ocean Force, Real Stories behind the ER, Most Shocking, & Most Daring. Why do I get caught up in these mindless t.v. shows - who knows? It gives me that glimpse to escape my reality and realize what a crazy screwed up world we live in and that my life isn't that bad after all!

So, Jenny! I've got your back on this one!

Oh, Bridezilla, Who's Wedding is it anyway?, Deadliest Catch, To Catch a Predator,& Making the Team are other fav's!

What does this say about me? Hmmm... Well, my 2 favorite movies are 9 1/2 Weeks and The Piano. I suppose I like to live vicariously through other people's lives - however crazy, insane, lustful, they may be! And yes - I'll admit it - I've even watched those crazy infomercials about Girls Gone Wild!

House of Jules said...

You know how much my head was nodding (in agreement, not because I was falling asleep!) as I read this post, don't you?

TexAAs Girl & I could share the same TV watching DNA, too! I watch all the shows she mentioned as well, which explains why on most nights I don't get to sleep until 2 a.m. Well, wait, I don't watch the model shows or this season of Flavor of Love. I had to cut that one off at 2 seasons.

The good thing about the history channel is that it's all about history, which if I'm not mistaken will still be around when I'm old and boring and have already seen every entertaining show on TV.

By the way, Dr. Drew is hot. Did you see the episode when he came to the clinic in jeans and a black T-shirt? Even higher-than-a-kite-and-crazy-from-the-rehab Jeff Conoway noticed and said he looked good. Dr. Drew can give me a check-up ANY TIME HE WANTS... just not during Rock of Love. ;)
Jules
House of Jules

Spammon said...

You know, being a guy, I loathe reality shows. Especially the fact that they are paying celebrities who are already millionaires to follow them around. But I will admit to watching 1 reality show. Perhaps you all may enjoy it too:

The Ultimate Fighter

If every reality show ended up where 2 members of the cast had to fight til KO or submission, I'd probably watch more.

House of Jules said...

OMG Spammon, I'd TOTALLY watch that show!!! Men fighting in an enclosed space, possibly surrounded by a tall fence? Can I get in the ring with them? Oh, wait, that's just my favorite scene from Don't Talk to Strangers (and any woman who's ever seen that movie knows EXACTLY what I'm sayin'. Right Jen?

Seriously, I think most guys I know loathe the whole reality TV genre. I guess that's where there are so many tampon commercials during those shows!

Jen said...

Jules, I think I found another screen play, this time for reality TV, that we need to explore. Put me in an enclosed cage with Antonio Banderas holding two glasses of red wine and let the cameras roll! I could seriously get 26 episodes out of that!

texAAsgirl said...

@spammon - When in doubt, choke 'em out - right? UFC is raw stuff!

Are you sure you loathe ALL reality??? Even Girls Gone Wild???

House of Jules said...

Excuse me, I must have misread your comment. You want ME to put YOU in a cage with Antonio? What the F do you think I am? A ROBOT? OMG, girl, I'm a HUMAN FEMALE and I think the better show would be to put Antonio in the locked cage and see how long it took us to get inside. Winner take ALL, if you know what I mean.

TexAAsgirl: Your comment totally cracked me up! ;)

Jules
House of Jules

Spammon said...

texasgirl - I haven't missed a UFC in 10 years.

And believe it or not, "STD's Gone Wild" is absolutely retarded. I wonder what will happen when those girls are 68 and their grand kids are finding old footage of grandma.