Thursday, February 7, 2008

Rat on!




After a long afternoon of shuffling kids between Girl Scouts, soccer practice and basketball practice, I finally came home with my Taco Bueno and sat down to eat and read the paper. Instead of pouring over the headlines and editorials as I usually do (wink! wink!) I flipped straight to the Your Life section of the Fort Worth Star Telegram. On the cover was an article about the Chinese New Year. 2008 is the year of the rat. The rat is the first animal in the 12-year Chinese zodiac cycle.

What I learned is that I, too was born in the year of the rat (1972). According to Chinese lore this means I am "intelligent (check), outgoing (check), inquisitive (check), clever (check) and a good leader (check, although my mother always called it instigator, but I prefer leader)." That's the only time in my life that I agreed to being called a rat!


What was even more thrilling and exciting was that Olivia Newton-John (1948), Bono (1960), Antonio Banderas (also 1960, and can I just add a schwing!) and Ben Affleck (1972) were also born in rat years! These are some of my favorite people, as well as some of the people I fantasize about most (minus ONJ)!


Another coincidence: my first concert ever (without my parents) was Ratt! BTW...first concert with my parents when I was very young was Donny & Marie, but I digress!


Let me just go back to the Bono/Antonio Banderas connection for a moment.....I just knew, knew, knew we had a connection. I finally have my "in" when I meet those hot, sexy, talented, gorgeous men! Both are on my "pre-approved even though I'm married" list! Until then, I bask in our rat-tastic bond and hope that when I do get that opportunity to jump, I mean meet them that the "outgoing, inquisitive, clever" part of the Chinese lore is true!

5 comments:

House of Jules said...

1973 is the year of the Ox, and no big surprise but the Ox and the Rat are totally compatible! Friends forever!!!

Antonio is my kind of rat. I'm totally going to suggest he & I play "hide the cheese" the next time he comes over.

Jules
House of Jules

Jen said...

You can play hide the cheese with AB all you want, I'm gonna play FIND THE CHEESE with him (and guess where the cheese will be?)!!!!

House of Jules said...

Hopefully we're not going to be playing that game with him at the same time, though I have no doubt that he has enough cheese to go around. Hopefully it tastes like our favorite: Havarti with dill (but if not, I'm totally ok with that).

Jules
House of Jules

House of Jules said...

OH MY GOD, DOES YOUR "CILF" LABEL WHAT I THINK IT DOES?

Cheese I'd like to F**k?? Dear god, you're killing me.

This is yet another illustration of why we're such good friends.

Jen said...

Yes, CLIF is what you think it is!