Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Would someone please explain to me why it's easier for some folks to take family members for granted than people we've known for a short time? Don't give me that, "they're your family and know you'll love them no matter what" crap, either! I don't buy that for a second.


Seriously......why is it easier to be an asshole to someone you "love" than someone you you barely know? Do we try to look better to new people because we've accepted that the family member knows our flaws?


And, really if we have flaws shouldn't we try to work on them instead of embracing them? Doesn't Oprah or Maya Angelou or some freakin' 21st century guru always say, "when you know better, you do better?" Yeah, I call bull shit on that statement!


I need to go out and buy a punching bag today!

Update: I realized while getting ready for a business dinner that I've managed to lose a clothing size, so a punching bag will no longer be necessary (for today, anyway)!

2nd Update: NEVER bring your kids to a business dinner, even if the dinner is with your ex-brother-in-law and he insists!!

5 comments:

Taj said...

Girl, my family makes the Manson clan look like angels, so I feel you.

And I never buy what Oprah is selling. Something in that water ain't clean.

But yay on the closing size! After putting on my jeans this morning, I think I need 3 punching bags. Or a slimfast.

texAAsgirl said...

What did Thumper's dad tell him??? "If you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all." What is was really saying was "Shut the h%^& up!"

Even Disney characters have to put up with it from fam! And let's not even get into Cinderella's wicked step-mom!!!!

Hang in there - you're a strong woman! Otherwise, put Coop's spiderman undies over your head and run around the house screaming - - that'll shut em all up!

House of Jules said...

First off, who is your ex-brother in law? This confused me, as I've known you for at least four score and seven years, which is 20+ years if we're going by old (or, olde) math.

Secondly, some people should listen to 80's hair band Cinderella more, and then they'd realize that they don't know what they got... til it's go-honnn-one, hey hey yeah.

Third, I just want to say to Taj: "Somethin' in the milk ain't clean." Name that source.

Fourth (and final): I have to ask Stacey (who I'm sure will be swinging by here sometime soon) if the tenor she commented about on here a couple posts ago? The one who threw spiderman underwear in the audience to elicit screams; the same underwear that found it's way down from mid-air directly to her FACE? Was that tenor an adorable little blond kid?
Because based on TexAAsgirl's comment (coupled by the fact that I know of your son's fave superhero), I gotta wonder if C wasn't the underwear-tossing tenor. Knowing how low his daddy's voice is, it wouldn't surprise me at all to find out that C has the same voice, even though he's what, 6?!

Keep your ever slimming chin UP, kid. xo
Jules
House of Jules

Jen said...

@ Taj: Thanks for stopping by!

@ Texaasgirl: I am soooo doing the spiderman underwear thing this afternoon. It's cheaper than a punching bag!

@ HOJ: My ex-brother in law is Melissa's ex-husband/Blake's dad. Can you believe I've lost a frickin' size????? I'm doing the cabbage patch dance right now!

Anonymous said...

I can't decide if it would have been more or less creepy if the tenor HAD been a 6 year-old. But, sadly, no. It was a full-grown and decidedly unattractive 20-something. Sigh.