Monday, May 5, 2008

It ain't easy being me

Well, you'll all be happy to know that I DID IT!! I said EXACTLY what I planned to say, which usually doesn't happen because I get intimidated by my "opponent." I had my notes with me so I wouldn't forget any of my important points and I was sure to look this person in the eye the entire time, all while keeping a professional, non-emotional (read: non-bitchy) tone. I didn't yell or get out of control. I didn't smack this person, which is what I really wanted to do.....Instead, I was an enormous tower of strength, honesty and professionalism.


What did it get me?


When your opponent is a trained, professional arguer (is that a word....'cause it is now) it can be rough to keep them on track. When this person tried to steer the topic into a different direction, I was quick on the draw to move back to my point. Alas, I still never got a clear answer to the questions I posed, nor did I get an admission of guilt. Just a bunch of excuses (which I completely expected) and blame on everyone else for processing the information incorrectly.


But this person now knows I know the truth. I have a great deal of influence over the other person in charge and now this person knows I am on the other side of the fence where they're concerned. That's all I can ask for right now.


Speaking of the "other person in charge," they totally threw me under the bus during all of this, but I still managed to hold my own. Even though I didn't get exactly what I want, I still feel pretty good about sticking to my guns, even in the face of adversity.

Go, me!

3 comments:

House of Jules said...

You rock, sister. I'm so proud of you, esp because I know what (who) you were up against. That bus throwing HAS GOT TO STOP. For real. xo

Anonymous said...

Jen - good for you on having the "come to Jesus" conversation with this person. one can never win an argument against a person that won't accept personal responsibility and/or does not have a conscience. all you can do speak your mind based on the facts and let the chips fall where they may. at the very least you exercised your "courage" muscles and that will make having difficult conversations easier in the future.

Jen said...

@ Jules: THANKS! You know it's not often I feel proud of myself, but this was one of those moments.

@ Bud: Welcome back! I didn't know you were reading my blog regularly, but I'm glad you are! I definitely exercised my courage muscles today and learned that saying what's in your heart is never, ever wrong (even if the other person doesn't cop to it)!