Saturday, March 15, 2008

My first Mavs game (and an explanation of why I hate their owner)!

Amy was kind enough to invite me to the Dallas Maverick's game last night, and even though I hate Mark Cuban and everything he stands for, I agreed because a night out with Amy is always a fun time (plus I do love basketball)! It was my first NBA game.







Click here to see why Mark Cuban is on my shit list! It starts at 2:34.









The arena was sooooo freakin' far away, so having gone 45 minutes in the car without a cocktail, we decided to go to the W hotel for a pre-game "warm up." I've been to a lot of hotels in my day, but this is truely one of the most gorgeous I have ever laid eyes on!






After downing a couple of vodka tonics at the lobby bar, we walked across the street to the arena.





I've lived in Texas for almost 3 years and this was my first night out in Dallas (I usually head to Fort Worth to get my downtown groove on) and I was really impressed with Victory Park where the arena is located. Very cool shops, condos, eateries, bars, etc.






We had great seats, but my camera doesn't zoom so well!

The game was great and seeing Dirk Nowitzki and Jason Kidd play was an amazing sight. I could not get over how HUGE these players are. I mean they are seriously ENORMOUS!! We cheered, we laughed, we cheered some more, but decided to leave a bit early to beat the crowd over to Ghost Bar located on the top of the W hotel (plus we were kicking Indiana's ass and was obvious the Mavs would win). This is suppossed to be THE place to see and be seen in Dallas.






The outdoor terrace at Ghost Bar! What an amazing view of the city!



Cheers on the terrace!

So many people I know have totally overhyped the Ghost Bar. Yes, it was beautiful; an architectural masterpiece. Yes, there were lots of pretty people there, but the biggest thing I noticed about them is they were always looking out of the corner of their eye to see if someone was watching them. Can't you just sit and enjoy, people? Anyway, I put my time in at the she-she-poo-poo bar of all bars (whatever), but we quickly decided that perhaps we should move on and go somewhere that was more our speed.






Here's me rolling my eyes at the "I have no self-esteem so buy me a drink and validate me" crowd!



So, Amy re-applied her lip gloss and we said, "Adios" to the Ghost Bar!


After a quick stop for a gourmet meal at What-a-Burger (it's the buttered buns), we headed for a good, old fashioned, down and dirty tavern: The Tapp Inn in Grapevine! Good beer, great service, always good live music (no DJ here) and there never fails to be at least one table left when we walk in....it's as if the walls know we're coming!



Amy and I with our server-extraordinaire!




So, I learned a couple of things last night:


1. NBA games are the shiz-ney (even if Mark Cuban is an ass)



2. The best place to hang with friends is the place you can be your silly, loud, obnoxious self and not care what the guy next to you thinks!



3. Amy is super-fun and likes buttered buns as much as I do!

Sidebar: Have a great spring break, everyone! I'm taking the kids camping for 5 days at Possum Kingdom Lake. I'll have a new post about our trip late next week!










4 comments:

Spammon said...

Before I watched that video, Mark Cuban didn't bother me one bit. In fact, I somewhat liked him in certain aspects. Thanks to that video, I hope that he steps in front of a bus and dies. I can't stand when celebs and high up people use their fame to push their own personal views on everyone else.

House of Jules said...

First of all, fabulous haircut! :) Secondly, you know I can't stand the sound of Bill O'Reilly's voice, so thanks for mentioning where to fast-forward that video to. I didn't like Mark Cuban just from his turn on Dancing with the Stars (which, OMG, is an embarrassing admission in itself) because he seemed a lot like a used car salesman to me, and I didn't even have any idea who he was.
After seeing that video, I wish I was driving the bus that hits him. Maybe I'll be able to do a 2-fer and get Dr. Laura on the same day.

On that note, have fun camping with the kids! Enjoy a "sweet cracker sandwich" for me!
Jules
House of Jules

Anonymous said...

Hi! OK, I'm a little behind the times, but hey, I'm kinda busy here at the Medical College Of. (laughing so hard I can barely type now) I hated Mark Cuban long before his abysmal turn on DWTS. And while I also hate Bill O'Reilly, I absolutely agree with him on this issue. I can't believe I just said that. And why am I the only one to point out the obvious two weeks after you post this? You said "buttered buns."

Jen said...

OMG, Stacey! I'm so glad she told you about Medical College Of....I don't think I have ever laughed so hard about anything in my life (and it wasn't even dirrrrty)! Yep, I said "buttered buns!" and they're gooooooood!