Saturday, November 22, 2008

Friday Night and the feeling's right...


Friday was NOT a good day for me! I've been having a lot of those lately, and I can say with all honesty that if it weren't for my friends I don't know how I'd get through some of them! So, I called my LLP (someday I'll explain what that means, but it's similar to BFF) and told her to bring the usual provisions (beer and wine) and come over for an evening of venting. Well, she wasn't having any of that....she insisted that I get out of the house. When she arrived to pick me up she wouldn't even come in the house because she didn't want to give me any excuses to stay home. So, begrudgingly I pulled my boots on and met her in the driveway. I had no idea where we would go for a drink, but I assume it would be our local Mexican restaurant for a margarita. Boy, was I wrong!



My LLP has recently sprained her ankle and is wearing one of those really awkward black booties on her left foot. I knew our usual Friday night hang would be out because it's always super crowded and therefore not a good place for a girl in a black bootie. So, when I got in her car my first question was obvious:



me: "Where are we going?"


LLP: "Promise you won't think I'm crazy?"


me: "Well, I already know you're crazy and that's why I love ya. Seriously, where do you want to go? I need a cocktail ASAP!"


LLP: "Seriously, don't think I'm nuts when I tell you my idea."


me: "OK, OK....what is it?"


LLP: "What do you think of going to the local VFW? I already called and they said someone would sign us in since we're not Veterans."


me: "You already called the VFW to see if we can get in? Is this a joke?"


LLP: "No, really. It won't be crowded. It's close to home and it's something different. Let's give it a try and if it sucks, we'll leave and go to our usual Mexican restaurant."


me: "Well, you know me! I'm always up for something different. Let's do it!"









So, we drive to the local VFW. Believe me when I tell you that it is the least glamorous place in town. It's a small building that looks like an abandoned house. When we drove up and saw 5 cars in the parking lot, my first instinct was to say, "hell no! Let's get outta here pronto!" However, I was 5 paces from a cocktail and after the day I had my need for alcohol far out-weighed my need for a hip place to drink it! I did make her go in first though because I still have some standards!










My first impression? It was dark, small and reeked of smoke! Perfect atmosphere for some hard-core drinking, which is what was on my agenda! All 5 people at the bar immediately turned to see two gorgeous blonde's (me and LLP) walk into their little sanctuary. Within 30 seconds, 2 of the women were talking to us and making us feel right at home. The bartender had our drinks to us within a minute of sitting down at our bar stool and the guy across the bar from us was handing us $5 to play music on the jukebox. This place was getting better by the second!








LLP chose a spot at the bar for us next to this sign:







Our favorite part of the sign...? Peanuts for 50 cents and Lighters for a dollar! Hilarious!!





There was a guy from Manchester England sitting across the bar from us (he tried to convince us he was from Arkansas. An English dude can not pull of a southern accent). He was the one that gave us juke box money. He also bought us a bag of chips (which was perfect after a couple of cocktails) and a White Russian to cap off our evening! Perfection!!






Manchester guy on left with his buddy!





Good tunes, good drinks and some fun people were the perfect prescription after another bad day! Thanks, LLP for introducing me to the VFW! We'll definitely be back soon!

1 comment:

House of Jules said...

I laughed my ass off when I got your text. Then, proceeded to tell my wkend guest how it makes total sense that C picked the VFW, going by the "you just gotta know her" policy. Perfection! Glad you had fun, sweetcheeks, you really need more of that in your life! Wish I could've been there to hold your $1 lighter. ;)
xoxo